Hongos en Escabeche – Mushrooms Sauteed with Sherry Vinegar – Recipe

Hongos en Escabeche
Hongos en Escabeche – Mushrooms Sauteed with Vinegar

I love the chewy texture of mushrooms when they are left in bite-sized chunks, rather than thinly sliced. There is a nice contrast between the browned, flavorful crust and the juicy interior.

These mildly-vinegared mushrooms are versatile and easy. I was serving them with a Mexican meal, so I garnished them with cilantro, but you could just as easily use parsley and include them on a Spanish tapas spread. Change to a red wine vinegar or (a smaller amount) of aged balsamic and you are in Italy.

Hongos en Escabeche – Mushrooms Sauteed with Vinegar

Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free / Serves 4 as an appetizer or side dish

• 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for garnish
  • 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1 pound small button or crimini mushrooms (or medium ones, halved)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
  • 1 handful cilantro leaves
  1. Put the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. When it is shimmering, add the garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Add the mushrooms and salt, and saute until browned in spots and cooked through, but still retaining their shape.
  2. Add the vinegar and toss through; continue cooking until absorbed. Taste and adjust seasoning. Turn off the heat, allow to cool slightly, and garnish with the cilantro and an additional drizzle of olive oil. Serve warm.
Posted by Michael Natkin on Monday, July 25th, 2011 in Gluten-Free or modifiable, Kid Friendly, Recipes, Side Dishes, Vegan or Modifiable.

13 Responses to “Hongos en Escabeche – Mushrooms Sauteed with Sherry Vinegar – Recipe”

1. July 25, 2011 at 9:22 am #

These small mushrooms looks so good! I bet they are delicious! I love eating small mushrooms over the pan with butter and some dill and a pinch of salt. But your recipe grabs me !

I want to ask you did they become sour, or the vinegar evaporates while cooking? And leaves the aroma? I have balsamic vinegar from my last trip in Italy!

2. July 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

humm… looks good!! fantastic recipe!
    Good job!!

July 25, 2011 at 7:07 pm #

Hey Nicolas – yes, they are meant to be slightly tart, with a mild vinegar bite – almost like lightly pickled.

Michael Natkin

Find me:

The latest from my blog, Herbivoracious: Hongos en Escabeche – Mushrooms Sauteed with Sherry Vinegar – Recipe

4. July 26, 2011 at 7:53 am #

This post really caught my eye. I love mushrooms this way! I make this with some balsamic and serve along with grilled steaks. Love your photo.

5. July 27, 2011 at 10:35 am #

This looks amazing! I’m hosting a Vegan Wednesday Blog Hop today. I would love for you to link up!

6. July 27, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

What a scrumptious side. My love for mushroom is slowly growing so I think I might be to the point where I can try a dish with mushrooms as the focus. It looks great!

7. July 28, 2011 at 11:02 am #

I love mushrooms and would devour these. Looks delicious!

8. July 31, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

Wow this looks incredible! Great photo too! The green just pops! And I LOVE mushrooms!! I will definitely be trying this one out!

9. August 3, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

Good work, i love the concept.
    Best regards!
    Sue

10. August 3, 2011 at 5:11 pm #

funny…I didn’t come looking for a mushroom recipe I was just blog hopping. But I happen to have a pound of crimini mushrooms (for a mushroom curry) but find I’m missing the coconut milk I thought I had. I might just have a slight change of plans here. Looks wonderful.

11. August 10, 2011 at 9:27 am #

Sounds delicious! I prefer mine sauteed in balsamic with rosemary and thyme… but in all honesty, I will eat mushrooms any which way! lol
    Thanks for sharing!
    – Brittany

12. Allison
    August 12, 2011 at 11:08 am #

they were delicious! absolutely delicious. totally recommend it and goes well as side to the double crusted broccoli raab pizza. (or inside it)

August 15, 2011 at 8:32 am #

Ooh, I like the idea of these inside a pizza… that's crazy talk!