Persian Crispy Rice – Chelo with Tahdig – Recipe

Persian rice pilaf with a crispy crust - chelo with tahdig
Persian rice pilaf with a crispy crust – chelo with tahdig

Just about every culture that cooks rice has a crispy variation, whether it is the beloved crust on the bottom of the Spanish paella, fried rice in Chinese cuisine, or Indian bhel puri (a snack of crispy puffed rice, potatoes and chutney). For Persians, the basic basmati rice pilaf with a crust is called chelo, and the crust itself is tahdig.

The rest of this post, including the recipe, is guest posted over at my friend Alice's blog, Savory Sweet Life. Alice makes beautiful, homecooked meals and if you weren't hungry before you see her pictures, you will be afterwards! I'm excited to introduce our readers to each other, so please jump on over there, read the rest of the post, and check out her archives.

Posted by Michael Natkin on Monday, May 17th, 2010 in Gluten-Free or modifiable, Kid Friendly, Recipes, Side Dishes, Weblogs.

9 Responses to “Persian Crispy Rice – Chelo with Tahdig – Recipe”

1. May 17, 2010 at 11:38 am #

I think it’s time to get hungry! Thank you for sharing the link.

- Tera

2. May 21, 2010 at 7:44 pm #

Thanks for the fantastic recipe, I’m going to give this a whirl over the weekend. Great photos by the way!

3. October 19, 2011 at 6:38 am #

Now I know what’s for dinner tonight–thanks!

4. December 21, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

Mmm. Looks yummy. Hey, I was curious. You mentioned that almost every culture has its own crispy version. Do you know if this is also true in Japanese cuisine?

• December 22, 2011 at 10:08 am #

Yep, there is onigiri, where rice is formed into a ball or other shape and grilled, which gives it somewhat of a crispy crust. And there are also Japanese versions of fried rice.

5. July 26, 2012 at 7:55 am #

Wow, that looks delicious!! I love crispy rice so very much!! I have been trying different ways to brown and crisp rice with a healthy twist!! Thanks for this one!

6. halleh
    February 22, 2013 at 1:44 am #

hello
    i am a persian . well i enjoy this food too much . and we eat this food with KHORESHT . like korean people that eat kimchi with other foods . we have too mane khoresht’s like

1- ghorme sabzie
    2- gheymeh
    3- badenjan
    4- karafs
    and…

if u like to have this khoresht’s . i will be happy to send the recipe for every body on this web site .

• February 22, 2013 at 7:22 am #

Hi Halleh – Thanks for your note; if you want to post some of you favorite khorest recipes as comments here I’m sure everyone would enjoy them, and maybe sometime I can work one up to be a full post on the site (with credit to you of course!).

7. halleh
    March 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Hello .
    Thank you for your note . i am very excited about it .
    i will send you the recipes as soon as i finish translating them to the english .