Never stop playing with your food! This is one of my favorite kitchen creativity games. Take a single ingredient, and cut it as many ways as you can think of, then observe the way the cuts and textures change your perception. Then take it a step further and let those new perceptions suggest simple flavor pairings.
These enormous, nearly black seedless grapes gave me all sorts of ideas.
- Peeled and rolled in crispy crumbled rice crackers, Hawaiian black salt
- Sliced so thin they are transparent, with fennel pollen and lemon zest
- Peeled and cut into irregular “icebergs” with cilantro/pepita pesto
- Fileted with sunflower butter
- (below) Tops and bottoms removed, thinly sliced vertically, again with the cilantro/pepita pesto