Chevre with Sauteed Grapes and Fresh Herbs – Recipe

Chevre_Sauteed_Grapes
Chevre with Sauteed Grapes and Fresh Herbs

I love this appetizer because it comes together in minutes, tastes amazing, and the sauteed grapes provide an element of surprise and pleasure. It is a riff on a popular dish from Seattle's Osteria La Spiga, where they do it with Toma cheese wrapped in grape leaves.

This version is even simpler. You should feel free to try it with other cheeses and other herbs. Mint or basil would be delicious. How about grilled Halloumi cheese instead of the chevre?

I recently received a sample of an organic extra-virgin olive oil from Gaea. I used it for this dish and it added a very clean, clear, fruity and pepper note that I was happy with. I'm also impressed that their oils are certified carbon-neutral.

The finished dish can be plated family style like you see above, or in individual portions. Serve it with a crusty baguette or a grilled flatbread.

Chevre with Sauteed Grapes and Fresh Herbs
Vegetarian and gluten-free; not vegan
Serves 4

• 8 oz. fresh chevre (goat cheese; I'm partial to the Laura Chenel brand)
  • 1.5 cups seedless red grapes, halved
  • 1 + 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
  • 1 tablespoon chive blossoms, pulled apart into individual flowerets
  • 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
  • flaky sea salt
  1. Divide the chevre into 8 parts and roll into balls. Set aside to warm up towards room temperature.
  2. Just before you are ready to serve, saute the grapes in 1 tablespoon of the oil for 30 seconds over medium-high heat.
  3. To serve, place the chevre balls on a plate. Distribute the warm grapes over the top. Drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Garnish with the herbs and sea salt.

Posted by Michael Natkin on Thursday, May 28th, 2009 in Appetizers, Recipes.

11 Responses to “Chevre with Sauteed Grapes and Fresh Herbs – Recipe”

1. May 28, 2009 at 12:19 pm #

This looks incredible. Thanks!

May 28, 2009 at 12:55 pm #

You could add arugula :)!

3. May 28, 2009 at 2:50 pm #

What a simple and delicious thing! This is a perfect start to an easy summer meal.

4. May 29, 2009 at 12:10 am #

This looks freaking amazing. I have some fantastic grape-seed oil from Eastern Washington and I’m thinking it’d go great here. Obviously you know I’m trying to figure out something instead of the cheese, not sure what yet. *thinking* But this looks way too awesome not to try a variation of!!!

May 29, 2009 at 8:42 pm #

Tofu Mom – Does the grape-seed oil have a flavor or is it neutral tasting?
    I’m curious what you come up with for a veganized version of this dish.

6. June 4, 2009 at 6:33 am #

This is great – I have goats cheese, I have grapes, I have chives with flowers, I have fresh oregano, I will have this dish :) I haven’t (that I can think of) tried sauteeing fruit before, but I was served some sauteed strawberries as a side dish lately and definitely want to give it a try…

June 4, 2009 at 6:57 am #

Nice! Let me know how you like it.

8. alana
    June 23, 2009 at 1:07 pm #

I made it — easy, refreshing, delicate flavours. my partner was really impressed. the texture on the grapes is really nice after stir frying for 30 seconds. colours were great. it’s always so exciting to come up with a new easy little thing that is a special and still simple alternative to my usual standby of tomatoes and fresh mozz.

9. September 18, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

Easy and delicious! This is what I like to do to make something special out of ordinary dinner.
    Thanks!

10. Anjali
    July 1, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

Looks really good !! However I cannot get chives with florets easily. What do you suggest I replace this with?

• July 2, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

I’d just skip the flowers and use regular fresh chives.