Grapefruit Crudo – Recipe

Grapefruit_Crudo
Grapefruit crudo, avocado, chervil and capers – this isn’t tuna!

I was goofing around with cutting citrus fruits into cubes the other day, and the red grapefruit looked so much like tuna. Not that I eat tuna, but of course I see other people eat it at sushi restaurants. I tried slicing it vertically into slabs instead, which was also beautiful. You could take this concept in a sashimi direction, but I opted for crudo instead – a.k.a. Italian sashimi.

Crudo is typically dressed with olive oil, sea salt, and a citrus juice, which in this case is built in. I added capers, chervil, and a slice of avocado for some fattiness. I haven’t quite decided whether this dish works better cold or at room temperature. If you try it, let me know what you think.

To cut the grapefruit, use an uber-sharp chef’s knife. Remove about a 1/2″ or so slice from the top and bottom. Resting on the bottom, make four vertical cuts to produce a rough cube, removing all of the skin and pith. Now slice vertically into 1/3″ thick slabs, avoiding the core. If you get just a little bit of core you can put that side down on the plate. Slicing grapefruit this way produces a lot of waste material. I think I got about 5-6 useable slices from a single fruit. So be sure and juice the rest for a cook’s treat.

Grapefruit Crudo with Avocado, Chervil and Capers
Serves 4 as an appetizer
Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free

• 2 red grapefruit, sliced as described above
  • 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
  • about 12 chervil sprigs
  • 1 tablespoon capers, briefly soaked to remove some salt and drained
  • 2 tablespoons fruity extra virgin olive oil
  • sea salt (Maldon (aka the world’s greatest salt)!)
  • fresh ground black pepper
  1. Arrange grapefruit pieces pleasingly on a plate.
  2. Top each slice with 1 piece of avocado, 1 chervil sprig and a few capers.
  3. Drizzle olive oil on plate and fruit.
  4. Add a few grains of crunchy sea salt and some grinds of black pepper to each slice.

Grapefruit on Foodista

Posted by Michael Natkin on Monday, December 1st, 2008 in Appetizers, Experiments, Favorites, Gluten-Free or modifiable, Recipes, Vegan or Modifiable.

18 Responses to “Grapefruit Crudo – Recipe”

1. December 1, 2008 at 8:36 am #

ooh, I totally thought it was salmon: you fooled me! Great photo and a very interesting combination.

2. December 1, 2008 at 10:05 am #

Wow! It looks EXACTLY like tuna…down to the texture.

3. December 1, 2008 at 12:30 pm #

What a unique recipe! I love grapefruit and love this idea!

4. December 1, 2008 at 12:45 pm #

BEAUTIFUL! I’m definitely going to try your recipe.

5. December 1, 2008 at 4:37 pm #

This sounds like the perfect holiday amuse bouche. I might add a little ground coriander seed in the dressing. I can’t wait to make this. The plating is great.

6. December 1, 2008 at 6:09 pm #

That completely looks like tuna – I was shocked that you had made a fish dish but was reassured by the title :)

What a brilliant dish! I’m going to have to try this one of these days.

7. December 2, 2008 at 2:01 am #

Michael, this is gorgeous and makes me super hungry.
    I so wish I lived next door so you could feed me properly.

all my love xx fanny

8. December 2, 2008 at 2:07 pm #

How fun! When I first saw your photo, I thought it was tuna. Beautiful!

9. sixseven42
    December 26, 2008 at 11:55 am #

This recipe looks wonderful!

I’m going to try this as a grapefruit-avocado salad, using less wasteful wedge sections of grapefruit.

I just discovered your blog today and I love it! Thank you for posting such wonderful vegetarian recipes!

December 30, 2008 at 3:34 pm #

Thanks sixseven! How did your salad turn out? That definitely would be less
    waste.

11. Todd Kopriva
    January 1, 2009 at 7:27 pm #

I just made this for a New Year’s Eve party. It’s simple enough that I was able to bring the ingredients, do the work in a few minutes on a little bit of countertop at the party, and juice the “waste” grapefruit into a pitcher for the bar right next to me. I substituted ground white pepper, and I think that it worked a little better than the ground black pepper.

The response was terrific. People loved this dish. The main reaction was like “This tastes great, and I never would’ve though to put these things together!”.

A couple of the grapefruit pieces had some tough membrane, and the people who got these weren’t as happy. So, just be careful with your cutting—just like cutting fish, I suppose.

January 1, 2009 at 7:40 pm #

Todd – awesome, I’m glad it went over well with your crue! I could totally
    see the white pepper working well in it. Thanks for the feedback. And nice
    use of the juice too… Greyhounds?

13. January 18, 2009 at 8:59 am #

avocado & grapefruit must taste delicious together. I am going to try this, and you dont have to be a veg to try this!!

14. January 25, 2009 at 11:03 am #

Yes, it does look like tuna! I have had tangerine and avocado salad; they were delicious together so I am looking forward to trying this combination.

15. July 16, 2009 at 7:45 pm #

this looks amazing and very similar in appearance to the roasted watermelon steak! thanks for letting us discover your site.

16. December 3, 2009 at 8:15 am #

Wow, that really looks like tuna, and sounds delicious! My mouth is watering :)

17. December 30, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

How clever! I love the combination of grapefruit and avocado in salsas and salads, and never thought of this presentation of them!

18. Mandarina
    December 12, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

This is genius!! It reminded me of the most magical combination I have ever tried: grapefruit and castelvetrano olives.